OSU MyChart Login
HealthDay News
Health Tip: Test Your Home for Radon
Deadly gas can trigger lung cancer
-- Diana Kohnle

(HealthDay News) -- Radon is a colorless, odorless gas that can trigger lung cancer as it seeps inside a home through cracks in the floor or walls.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests how to test for radon at home:

  • Use either a do-it-yourself kit or hire a professional tester.
  • Short-term tests, which take two days to 90 days, don't capture the most accurate picture. Radon levels can fluctuate daily.
  • Longer-term tests give a better average of your home's radon exposure over time.
  • Radon levels higher than 4 picocuries per liter can be harmful and should be remedied by a professional.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.