Health Tip: Get More Nutrients
Make a few simple adjustments to your menu
-- Diana Kohnle
(HealthDay News) -- For a more nutritious punch, make a few simple swaps to get the most from your meals.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these ideas:
- Boost oatmeal by mixing with fat-free milk, and fresh or dried fruit.
- Enclose a sandwich between slices of whole-wheat bread, and pile on avocado, tomato and other veggies, along with lean deli meat.
- Make macaroni and cheese with whole-grain pasta.
- Eating out? Order a dinner salad with grilled seafood, or baked potato topped with veggies. For a beverage, opt for fat-free or low-fat milk, or 100 percent fruit juice.
- Use shredded sharp cheddar cheese or chopped nuts atop your favorite food.
- Opt for a nutritious powerhouse, such as a veggie-packed soup with lean proteins.
- Order or create a fruit-based smoothie for dessert.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.