Health Tip: Get Active During Summer
Suggestions for a healthier you
-- Diana Kohnle
(HealthDay News) -- The often-pleasant, warmer weather of summer offers lots of chances to get outside and become active.
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases suggests these healthy ways to embrace summer:
- Move your workout to the water and go for a swim. Or move your walk to the local zoo, aquarium or museum.
- Watch a workout DVD indoors when it's too hot to exercise outside.
- Shop the local farmer's market for fresh, local produce.
- Plant a garden in your backyard or nearby for healthier food, exercise and fun.
- Take the family for a weekend hike, trip to the park, softball game or evening walk.
- Eat lean, nutrient-rich foods, such as fish, nuts and seeds, beans, poultry, low-fat dairy and whole grains.
- Head outside for an early-morning walk before the weather heats up. Remember to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Add weight-lifting, pull-ups, push-ups or other muscle-strengthening activities to your exercise routine.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.