Health Tip: Help Boost Your Immune System
Be sure to eat these recommended foods
-- Diana Kohnle
(HealthDay News) -- Eating a healthy diet can help strengthen your immune system to ward off illness.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends these nutrients and foods:
- Protein to help the body defend itself. Sources include eggs, soy, unsalted seeds and nuts, lean meats, seafood, poultry, beans and peas.
- Vitamin A to promote healthy skin and tissues. Sources include kale, spinach, red peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, eggs, apricots and foods marked as fortified with vitamin A.
- Vitamin C to help create antibodies. Sources include tangerines, oranges, grapefruits and other citrus fruits, papaya, strawberries, red bell peppers, tomato juice and vitamin C-fortified foods.
- Vitamin E, found in vegetable oils, peanut butter, spinach, almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and vitamin E-fortified foods.
- Zinc, which helps with immune system function, via beans, nuts, milk, whole grains, poultry, seafood and lean meats.
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.