Health Tip: Prepare for a Winter Storm
Wear clothing in layers
-- Diana Kohnle
(HealthDay News) -- When a winter storm is headed your way, taking a few precautions can help keep you safe.
The American Red Cross suggests how to prepare for a winter storm:
- Wear lightweight clothing in layers, mittens and a hat that covers your ears.
- Wear a pair of insulated, waterproof boots that offer traction, protection and warmth.
- Try not to travel. If you must be on the road, pack a disaster supply kit.
- If you have an all-weather radio, keep it on.
- Prepare your car for winter, and make sure your gas tank is full.
- Install storm windows or plastic coverings on the windows. Have heating equipment serviced annually.
- Provide protection for outdoor animals, or bring pets indoors.
- Run a trickle of water to prevent pipes from freezing.
- Make sure any fuel-burning equipment vents to the outside.
Copyright © 2013 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.